Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Reflection

My last week was full of social welfare agency visits in Chuncheon and Seoul. Many of these agencies we visited had the capacity to provide many services. They view their consumer as a whole person with a verity of needs. This is contradictory to the social services in America, where there is typically one program designed to meet one need.
Combining religions in Korea is not only acceptable but normal. A close friend of mine from Korea explained that she is a Christian and a Buddhist. This is a cultural difference for me because I am from a country where most people have one religion, if any.
After being home for a while I discovered how egocentric our society truly is. I had developed a habit of being mindful of my comrades' needs. Especially at meal times with little things, like drink refills, napkins and eating utensils.
I found that I was surprised at how much I have in common with my friends from Korea. I found that humor, spirituality and love were easily conveyed without a spoken language.
http://picasaweb.google.com/feekeymarie/LastFewDays/photo#s5225858431717339474

1 comment:

Mama said...

Good-by Korea, Hello America! Welcome home Alicia :) Love your latest pictures. Looks like everyone is pretty happy and eating wonderful foods. So glad you are home and looking forward to a real live hug!!!
Love you,
Mama